Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Should have started documenting this sooner

From my earliest memories I've always ridden a bicycle. Around five years old I remember trying to teach myself how to balance. I was in the garage, sitting on my bicycle, leaning against the wall. I think I pulled it off but the rest is fuzzy; I just know that I was soon riding up and down and all over our dead-end block.
Things seemed safer back then. you would ride and ride all day, jumping stuff, skidding (skids were ALWAYS a highlight of my cycling life) and only coming home when you heard your Dad's unmistakable whistle.
Bicycle riding, or cycling (I don't like the word 'biking', just sounds silly) is a wonderful catalyst for a memorable childhood. I remember, it seems, every experience I've ever had on two wheels.
It occurred to me to start writing about some of it while I'm in the midst of teaching my own children how to ride. Things so far haven't gone as smoothly as I planned or expected but it has been and continues to be an experience that I savor.
So come along as I explore my creative writing bit and save these ideas for when my own kids are raising their own wheels.

No comments:

Post a Comment